Everyone thinks running the garbage disposal is the easiest thing in the world. You just put food down it and it goes away, right? Except that from cleaning and maintenance needs, to knowing how to make improvements and what to avoid putting down it, your garbage disposal is actually one of the most sensitive appliances in your kitchen. Even if you think you have been using your garbage disposal correctly for years, chances are there are a couple things you could be doing better. Read on to learn our top 10 tips for running your garbage disposal, and make sure to contact our skilled Des Moines plumbers at Golden Rule Plumbing, Heating & Cooling for all your urgent plumbing needs.
Top 10 Steps to Make Sure Your Garbage Disposal Always Runs Smoothly
- Before you even go over to the sink, scrape as much food from your plate as possible into the trash. This will help you avoid the temptation to put large, chunky amounts of food into your garbage disposal.
- Run cool water before you turn the garbage disposal on. Not only is it better for the disposal to be lubricated before you put food down it, but using cool water keeps grease from getting too congealed, so there is less of a chance it will stick in your garbage disposal.
- Turn the disposal on carefully. It goes without saying, but this appliance has sharp blades, and your fingers should be nowhere near it when you flip that switch.
- Feed food into the garbage disposal slowly, using water to wash it down. There is no need to risk your safety or the integrity of your appliances by roughly shoving food down the disposal.
- Let the garbage disposal run for half a minute even after you have finished putting food remnants down it. This will ensure all leftovers are disposed of properly.
- Keep the water running an additional 30 seconds after you turn the disposal off. This will wash the remaining food particles down the drain, cleaning your garbage disposal for use the next time you need it.
- Throw the occasional ice cube down the garbage disposal for cleaning purposes. While the sound of ice may be a bit harsh, this will greatly help break up food particles which may be stuck in your disposal and breaking down the blades.
- If your garage disposal smells, throw a few lime or lemon wedges in it. This will help clean the inside and improve the smell. DO NOT throw whole limes or lemons down the unit, as this is extremely bad for your garbage disposal.
- Clean your garbage disposal regularly with baking soda and water.
- Avoid putting items like wood, glass, plastic, paper, cardboard, chicken bones, grease, oils, fats, and starchy foods like potatoes, rice, or celery down your garbage disposal at all costs.
Call Us to Keep Your Garbage Disposal Golden!
Contact Golden Rule Plumbing, Heating & Cooling for all your essential garbage disposal services. From installation and replacement to repair and maintenance, our experienced Des Moines plumbers have got what it takes to keep your disposal running smoothly for years. Call today for money-saving specials, and remember, we’re available 24/7 for emergencies!
Dial (515) 305-2955 now for scheduling, or contact us online for more information.