Most homeowners have natural gas or propane piping in their house, even if they do not know where this equipment is located. Yet it’s important to look out for the signs that you need gas line repair, as broken or leaking gas pipes can create an extremely hazardous situation for everyone on your property. Fortunately, Golden Rule Plumbing, Heating & Cooling provides gas piping repair and installation from professionals with years of experience. Keep reading to learn the signs you need gas piping repair, and make sure to call our skilled Des Moines plumbers for all your plumbing needs.
The top 5 signs you need a gas pipe repair are:
- A rotten egg smell: The odor of sulfur, aka “rotten egg smell,” is a strong sign that you may be dealing with a gas leak. Unfortunately, while this stench is strong, it also dissipates fairly quickly. Because of this, it is important to contact a professional as soon as you detect that rotten egg smell—especially if it’s accompanied by any feelings of dizziness or nausea.
- A hissing sound: Hissing noises emanating from your walls are another main indicator of a gas pipe leak. Although you may be able to close the gas line’s vale to prevent immediate risks to your health and safety, you should still call someone right away to address any damage that may have already occurred.
- Dead plants: Because gas piping often runs underwound and outside of your property, you may start finding dead grass or plants in your yard if there is a break in the line.
- An increase in your gas bill: If you notice an increase in your utility bills, yet you have not been using your gas appliances any more than usual, there is a chance this increase is because or a broken or leaking gas line. While there are other explanations for this phenomenon, it’s still best to call for a maintenance inspection if your gas bill goes up, just for the sake of keeping your home and family out of danger.
- Issues with your appliances: From your furnace to your water heater, it is likely there are multiple appliances in your home which run on gas. Because of this, you may notice your equipment performing worse than usual if there’s a problem with your gas piping. Watch out for longer response times, as well as strange noises with your gas appliances, too.
Remember, when it comes to your family and home, it’s better to be safe than sorry! Call (515) 305-2955 to schedule gas piping repair in Des Moines, or contact Golden Rule Plumbing, Heating & Cooling online.